Blogs > Fresh Ink

Barbara Lombardo of Saratoga Springs, NY, is a journalism adjunct at University at Albany and retired executive editor of The Saratogian, The Record and the Community News. Follow her on Twitter @Barb_Lombardo.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Running on fumes thanks to Price Chopper

One of the smartest sales promotions in memory, because it has actually altered my buying habit, is Price Chopper's cents-off on Sunoco gas.

I don't think I'd ever bought Sunoco before Price Chopper started offering a dime off the price of gas for every $50 spent at the supermarket. I felt a twinge of guilt at dropping Mobil, but I got over it when my fill-up was cut by 90 cents a gallon. And I never spend more at Price Chopper than I would ordinarily, because I ordinarily spend a ridiculous amount on groceries (and then wonder why I only have food for two dinners).

The only downside is that I now play chicken with my gas gauge. Twice coming home from Albany I've had to get off the Northway before Saratoga Springs and coast to a Sunoco. The cents-off gets used up on a single fill-up, so I want that E as low as it can go. I know I'm not the only one doing this, but I won't embarrass anyone by naming names.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice plug for Price Chopper. But if you had shopped at Aldi's you would have saved money on every item. Try it and you will see.

April 6, 2010 at 9:12 AM 
Blogger Fresh Ink said...

Thanks for the advice about Aldi's. A coworker swears by it for the savings. I wasn't trying to promote Price Chopper but simply to note how the gas bit has changed both buying and driving habits -- and not just mine.

April 6, 2010 at 10:27 AM 
Blogger lajuene said...

I too buy the same as I always did at Price Chopper and I too never went to Sunoco. I love it. As for Aldis, I don't go there but I do go to Price Rite and Walmart Super Center too and I find all of them useful. A lot depends on the convenience of where I am at the time. I hat to go across town to save on a couple items. I only hope this gas thing goes on. I have a truck so as long as I get to about 1/8 tank I can get all 20 gallons. Today I will be going to Sunoco for $1.90 off per gallon!! (That will help offset the $10 error against me at Price Chopper when I got charged for 3 1/2 pounds of peppers in stead of the sweet potatoe I actually got)
8-)

April 7, 2010 at 12:55 PM 
Blogger Fresh Ink said...

The cash register error is a totally different topic but definitely worth discussion. Customers really need to watch the items as they are rung up. I recently questioned the cost of apples, and it turned out the wrong number was punched in and I would have been paying twice the price. And not long ago I was accidentally charged $79 instead of 79 cents for a cucumber or something. That error was caught by the cashier immediately. But smaller mistakes could slip by.

April 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home