Blogs > Fresh Ink

Barbara Lombardo of Saratoga Springs, NY, is a journalism adjunct at University at Albany and retired executive editor of The Saratogian, The Record and the Community News. Follow her on Twitter @Barb_Lombardo.

Monday, April 7, 2014

ESPN's Jay Bilas made me the biggest loser -- and winner -- in March Madness office pool

I’m a loser -- and a winner!
Thanks to using the NCAA bracket by ESPN’s Jay Bilas in my office pool, I won back my $5 entry fee for being the biggest loser – by far.
Thanks, Mr. Bilas.
Or maybe I should thank my husband. Each year on the eve of the pool deadline, he reads off the matches and I pick my winners based on uniform colors (UNC’s powder blue), cities where friends live (Pittsburgh), school names (like St. Joe’s, for my son Joe), alma maters (Ohio State), and schools I teach at (University at Albany).
This year, however, we were running in opposite directions and pressed for time, so my husband did his own picks (loser) and handed me “my picks” based 100 percent on the picks by Jay Bilas (biggest loser). Why not? Bilas has successfully played, coached and covered the game. On the cover of his book, “Toughness: Developing True Strength on and off the Court,” Bilas is billed as the “ESPN Basketball Analyst” and he’s holding a basketball.  

But last week, well before they were down to the Final Four, my place was secured as low woman in The Saratogian and The Record’s combined March Madness pool. Today it becomes official, and I get five bucks – which, if he reads this, I will have to give to my husband, who fronted the money in the first place. Thank you, dear. And thank you, Mr. Bilas.

1 Comments:

Blogger tomcalwriter said...

Hey, Barbara, don't be too hard on the guy -- it's not easy getting these picks right. Take it from a long-time basketball fan. That's why the games are so exciting. You never know who will win.

Tom Calarco

June 25, 2014 at 3:14 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home