Blogs > Fresh Ink

Barbara Lombardo of Saratoga Springs, NY, is a journalism adjunct at University at Albany and retired executive editor of The Saratogian, The Record and the Community News. Follow her on Twitter @Barb_Lombardo.

Sunday, July 11, 2010

See you on the not-so-secret, wonderful garden tour

Keep your fingers crossed for a sunny Sunday! More than 600 people have bought tickets to the Secret Gardens Tour scheduled for today (July 11). It's a major fund-raiser by Soroptimist International of Saratoga County, to benefit Domestic Violence and Rape Crisis Services of Saratoga County and other projects to benefit women and girls. I've been a co-chairwoman and committee member of the Secret Gardens -- NOT because of my gardening skill, sad to say.
I'll be volunteering Sunday afternoon at a home on Woodlake Drive with Tina Morris, whose gorgeous Pinewood Avenue garden was on the tour last year. I'm hoping to pick up some tips from Tina. And I'm sure I'll be inspired by the gardens on this year's tour. (Tickets are $20, available at the Saratoga Springs Visitors Center starting at 11 a.m. Sunday; see more info in the Secret Gardens descriptions published by The Saratogian last month.)
Last Monday, I spent the entire day digging up weeds, making barely a dent. I am so appreciative of the homeowners who put invest their time, effort, money, and more effort to create beautiful, creative gardens that they so generously open up for Secret Gardens Tour participants to enjoy. (Hey, if you have any suggestions for next year's gardens, let me know. I'm on the committee again. STILL not because of my own gardening.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home