Blogs > Fresh Ink

Barbara Lombardo of Saratoga Springs, NY, is a journalism adjunct at University at Albany and retired executive editor of The Saratogian, The Record and the Community News. Follow her on Twitter @Barb_Lombardo.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Could Skidmore bookstore move into Border's?

My last blog post went into raptures over downtown, but we know it isn’t perfect. There are holes – though most of them get filled before long.

I am excited about David Zecchini’s latest innovation, a tapas restaurant on Broadway expected to open in May. And though I shoe’d myself almost exclusively through the Shoe Depot for years, I’m glad that space is due to be filled, too.

But what’s happening with the Border’s bookstore space? It’s been empty almost a year now.

I miss Border’s.

I miss the atmosphere, the books and the music in its heyday, and the public restrooms.

In Hamilton, N.Y., the Colgate University bookstore is actually in the heart of downtown, making it easy for the locals to at least buy the best sellers.

Granted, Hamilton is a much smaller community, and the Border’s spot ought to generate property taxes, and the Skidmore students shouldn’t have to travel a mile from campus to get to their books and T-shirts.

But still. I can dream, can’t I?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home