Blogs > Fresh Ink

Barbara Lombardo of Saratoga Springs, NY, is a journalism adjunct at University at Albany and retired executive editor of The Saratogian, The Record and the Community News. Follow her on Twitter @Barb_Lombardo.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oscar picks on upcoming Saratoga Film Forum schedule; and popcorn is only two bucks

I’m happy to see that the Saratoga Film Forum will be showing Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in mid-March, The Artist in late April, and Iron Lady in between.

While I enjoy watching the Oscar's, some years I haven't seen most of the nominated films. Good luck finding them around here in the commercial theaters. Iron Lady I heard wasn’t that great, but I enjoy watching Meryl Streep morph into her character. The Artist I am almost sick of from all the ore-Oscar hype.

Last weekend we were glad to see The Descendants (couldn't use the word enjoyed given the subject matter), for which we traveled to Aimie's Dinner and a Movie in Glens Falls. A nice setup, and easy to get to if the downtown roundabout doesn't throw you off. I recommend Aimie's. It's a reasonably priced way to combine a film with a meal; when a similar business existed in Saratoga Springs and my kids were little, we didn't have to choose between dinner OR a movie for a night out.

One of the best kept secrets for people 50 and younger in Saratoga Springs is the film forum. Even on nights when the place is packed, this 57-year-old is among the youngest. Where are the younger folks who can get in for $7 or less, pick out a drink for a buck and popcorn for $2. Beat that.

It's right downtown, in the Arts Center building on Broadway at Spring Street. Over the years I've seen foreign flicks, dramas and comedies that never came any closer than the Spectrum in Albany. Check them out at saratogafilmforum.org. Check them out in person. But please don't take my husband's favorite spot on Thursday nights.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite pet peeve is lack of imagination at the local movie theater. I used to go almost every week to the Film Forum but in the past 2 years nothing, sorry, has appealed to me. A friend and I went almost every Sunday a few years back.

I agree Iron Lady is not great but will go because Roger Ebert (I trust him) says the portrayal by Ms. Streep is 'right on'. I don't even care for her but like her portrayals.....good article...thanks.

Hated that we had to go to Colonie or Spectrum to see some of the good (too few) movies this past year.

March 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jiro Dreams of Sushi? Once Upon a Time in Anatolia? A Separation? "Lack of imagination"? Sheesh, I don't think so.

March 13, 2012 at 8:20 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home